Health and Safety Manager
Bristol Zoological Society are looking for an experienced Health & Safety Manager to join the organisation which consists of our two visitor attractions at Bristol Zoo Gardens and Wild Place Project. The role is offered on a full-time, permanent basis and reports directly to the Director of Estates. This role is diverse and requires an extremely personable and pragmatic individual who will be able to take on board and understand the zoo dynamics and the individual must have a good understanding of managing risk in areas which contain dangerous animals, staff and thousands of visitors.
£30k -£35k pa.
What you will do:
- You will be responsible for the recommendation and implementation of the Health and Safety practices, on all levels, across the Society.
- You will work closely with the varied operational teams (animals, maintenance, gardens, events, guest services etc.) to ensure a consistent approach to Health and Safety across both zoo sites, and to drive best practice across the business, developing a strong safety culture.
- You will be responsible for ensuring all health and safety legislation is implemented and adhered to, and that all policies and practices are adopted. You will ensure the business complies with all legal requirements and that a culture of safety is prevalent throughout.
- You will proactively manage the Health and Safety risk across the Society, and its activities, measuring performance and continued improvement through KPIs.
- You will plan, implement, monitor and review the protective and preventative measures that the organisation works to with a view to minimising operational losses, occupational health problems, accidents and injuries.
- You will work closely with the Local Authority and HSE on ensuring any requirements are actioned promptly and professionally.
- Work closely with the Director of Estates in rewriting the Society’s Health and Safety Policy.
- Carry out risk assessments, fire risk assessments and site inspections.
- Outline safe operating procedures, Safe Systems of Work and permits to work.
- Oversee external contractors from a Health and Safety viewpoint.
- Develop and lead training such as manual handling, ladder and risk assessment training.
- Produce regular reports to the Director of Estates, the Executive Board and annually to the Trustees
- Supporting the Society Gun Crew in their delivery of a safe and competent resource.
- Support the wider Society needs such as emergency procedure development, business continuity and security etc.
What you will bring:
- You will be used to working across busy operational sites with many different departments and will require the ability to build effective relationships, influence and drive continuous improvement as well as possessing leadership and credibility skills.
- You will have a proven track record in, and extensive practical experience of, H&S in a fast paced environment (ideally zoo/leisure and tourism/animals) including contact with appropriate external organisations.
- You will be passionate about Health & Safety, be able to lead & influence at all levels and facilitate safe changes while ensuring that a pragmatic and objective viewpoint is taken at all times.
To apply for this position please submit a covering letter and CV by the closing date of noon on 26th April 2019.